3.06.2009

Self-Exploration

I've been dabbling in a bunch of new-age thinking and religious studies lately. I have looked at some of the precepts, not the supernatural, of the Bahá'í Faith, Christianity, Confucianism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, and Judaism. I've been cherry picking the portions I like of each, and combining them into my own worldview.

This is a big change for me. I'm still an atheist, but I now regard religion differently. To be honest, I used to think the people who believed in gods, whether it be the YHWH or some of a polytheist religion, were at least a little crazy. I wouldn't say I felt higher than them, but I definitely didn't understand how so many people, many of them smart, could believe in such unbelievable myths. And even though I still don't agree with them, on a purely religious basis, I understand now why some of them believe. I didn't really get it when I was a "believer," because I was never very devout, especially with regards to the supernatural aspects. Now I see that to be a Christian doesn't necessarily imply they believe in God (Some of you are probably thinking, what?!). Well, it's true.

Right now, I would have no problem calling myself a Christian, because I do believe in the teachings of Jesus. I don't know if he existed (or exists). I don't know if God exists. But I know there is a book that presents a code of morals which I do accept as being a good deontological base. I do not believe the infanticidal, filicidal, genocidal, ethnic-cleansing, megalomaniacal, egomaniacal, xenophobic, homophobic, racist, misogynistic, sadistic, controlling, jealous, petty, unforgiving, vindictive God of the Bible is good moral role model. But the teachings of Jesus are better, albeit contradictory to God's actions, and serve as a good basis for morals.

I'm making a few commitments because of my new views: I will meditate daily. I will give as often as I can. I will not regret. I will not hate. I will not forgive, because I will not blame. I will not objectify people. I will be aware of my judgments and attempt to minimize them. I will appreciate nature daily. I will not make exceptions for my vegan livestyle. I will reflect each day. I will learn as much as I can. I will value knowledge. I will practice moderation. I will thank food for providing nourishment. I will honor my body. I will be aware of harbored feelings, and attempt to cleanse myself of them. I will practice detachment from desire. I will not do anything I do not want to do. And most importantly, I will live now, not in the past and not in the future.

No comments: